Regulus & Gilmore Social Work Student Award
One award of $500 per year (minimum) may be given to a student entering the Master of Social Work program who meets these qualifications:
- be enrolled as a first year, full-time student in the MSW program at SIUE
- demonstrate potential for high academic achievement in the field of social work with a minimum GPA of 3.0 (out of 4.0) in undergraduate course work.
In addition, one award of $500 per year (minimum) may be given to a student who received this award in his/her first year of the MSW program at SIUE. (One student may receive a maximum of $1,000 over the two year period. A student may only receive this award for two academic years.)
To qualify to receive the award for a second year, the student must: a) be enrolled as a continuing full-time student in the MSW program at SIUE; b) demonstrate potential for high academic achievement in the field of social work with a minimum GPA of 3.0 for course work during the first year in the program. The entering student or continuing student award will not be given if qualified candidates are not available in any given year.
1. Documented potential for excellence in academic scholarship is a principal criterion for selection. Undergraduate GPA with evidence of academic potential in the personal statement and references are required. GPA alone is not the sole determinant of potential but will be balanced by other substantive evidence of potential.
2. Potential for and commitment to future professional achievement in social work is a second criterion as evidenced by the quality of past service and written expression of future professional goals in application letter, reference statements, and other evidence provided to the selection committee.
1. General application on file at SIUE AcademicWorks.
2. Personal written statement (500 to 750 words) of academic and service achievements, academic and professional social work goals, and applicant’s commitment to both service and social justice.
3. Minimum of two reference letters attesting to academic and professional promise of the applicant. References should be from persons having current knowledge of the applicant. At least one letter should be from a university faculty member who has knowledge of the applicant’s potential (when a reference letter from a university faculty member is not provided the applicant should explain this exception). If the student has an undergraduate social work degree, one letter should be from an undergraduate social work faculty member (Please note: Letters written previously for the student will not apply. Reference letters should relate specifically to the Regulus & Gilmore Award.)
Personal written statement and reference letters should be sent to:
SIUE Department of Social Work
Peck Hall Room 1306
Edwardsville, IL 62026